Zucchini Majjige huli or Kayi huli is a coconut based white curry. It is a specific type of lunch/dinner side dish in South Indian menu. It is usually served with white rice or boiled rice.
Here coconut paste is used as a base hence called Kayi huli which means coconut curry. Also the butter milk or sour curd is used to enhance the taste, hence the name majjige huli comes, which means butter milk.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Cuisine: South Indian/vegan
- 1 medium sized zucchini chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup of boiled/canned chick peas or Kabuli chana
- pinch of turmeric
- 3-4 fresh or frozen green chilles
- salt as per taste
- 1 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or sour curd
- oil, mustard seeds, Black gram, curry leaves for seasoning
- Take 1 cup water in a steel vessel and add chopped zucchini, 2 slit green chillies, pinch of turmeric and salt. Let it boil for approximately 10 min or until zucchini is cooked.
- Meanwhile in a mixer, take 1 cup of fresh or frozen grated coconut (thawed or in room temperature) with 2 green chillies and blend to smooth paste.
- Once the zucchini is cooked, add 1/2 cup cooked/canned chick peas, cook for 2 mins.
- Now add the coconut paste and mix. Let it boil for 1 min.
- Then add 1/4 cup of buttermilk or sour curd and mix well. Boil for 1 min.
- Adjust the salt and season with mustard, Black gram, curry leaves. Serve hot with white or boiled rice.
- Never overcook zucchini, then it becomes mushy. It should be always little crunchy.
- If you do not have butter milk then take curd or yoghurt and beat well by adding water to adjust the consistency.
- If it is not sour enough then add 1 TSP tamarind paste.