Zucchini or courgette is a summer squash belongs to the same family as cucumber. It is with high water content and a good low carbohydrate substitute.
Zucchini akki rotti is a very authentic form of South indian akki rotti using grated zucchini. It is very spontaneous as well as delicious and can be used as a breakfast item.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 2 cups rice flour fine
- 1 TSP cumin seeds
- pinch of salt
- pinch of turmeric powder
- red chilly powder/chopped green chillies
- 1 medium grated Zucchini
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- coriander leaves chopped
- 1 TBSP coconut oil or any oil
- water as required
- In a bowl take 2 cups of rice flour and all other ingredients as mentioned above till oil and mix well to combine.
- Add little water and mix again and form a dough. Hardly 2 TBSP of water is enough as zucchini itself releases water when grated.
- Make a small sized ball and keep between two baking sheets and press using a cutting board (so no need to worry for special equipment or pressing with hand). Use the oil on the sheets before pressing to make sure the dough does not stick to the sheets.
- Heat it on a hot pan or iron skillet with little oil or ghee on both sides. Serve hot with spicy coconut chutney.
- Cucumber can also be used as a substitute for Zucchini.
- Dil leaves can be used instead of coriander leaves but then it overcomes the taste of zucchini.