Sowthekai kadubu/ Cucumber steamed cake is an authentic mangalorean breakfast item. Its super easy, delicious and made without much preparation also without fermentation.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian/mangalorean/vegan
- 2 cups sona mastri rice or Idli rice
- 1/2 cup coconut grated
- 2 medium sized cucumber grated
- green chillies (optional if making spicy)
- jaggery if making sweet
- water as required
- coriander leaves (optional)
- Soak 2 cups of sona masoori overnight and grind to smooth batter adding 1/2 cup of grated coconut.
- Grate 2 medium sized cucumber and add into the above prepared batter. (Should not be watery)
- Add green chillies or jaggery according to your preference.
- Adjust the salt.
- Take a spoonful of batter and spread onto the clean dried banana leaf (or I used aluminium foil) and fold it.
- Steam cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.