Kohlrabi or German turnip or Navilukosu (in Kannada), is a winter vegetable that can be grown in the balcony in flowerpots and grow bags. It is low in calories, high in fibre and is packed with beneficial nutrients.
Palya or stir fry is a side dish in the Indian lunch or dinner. This one is very easy and delicious and in an authentic Mangalorean style and it is grown in my Balcony.
Prep time: 10 mins
cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Cuisine: Vegan/south Indian
- 2 medium sized Kohlrabi
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds for seasoning
- 1/4 tsp urad dal for seasoning
- curry leaves
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chillie
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- a tsp jaggery powder
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- Wash and peel the skin off of 2 Kohlrabis.
- Cut into small cubes
- Heat a pan with a TBSP coconut oil, once hot add the seasoning ingredients- mustard seeds, urad dal. Once they splutter add curry leaves and pinch of turmeric powder.
- Now add the cut pieces of Kohlrabi and stir fry for few minutes. Then add 1/4 cup water and let it cook. Add jaggery, tamarind and salt.
- Now in a mixer add 1/4 cup grated coconut, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 dry red chillies and grind into coarse mixture.
- Add the to the cooked pieces and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.