Bendekayi Kayirasa/Lady s finger curry is a type of curry or sambar prepared using some combination of spices and coconut.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
- 2 cups chopped Ladies finger
- 1 TSP Tamarind
- 1-2 TBSP jaggery
- Salt as per taste
- 2 TSP Coconut oil or any other vegetable oil
- 1 TSP urad dal (Black gram)
- 4-5 dry red chillies (Byadagi or Kashmiri)
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- Wash and dry the lady s finger and cut into pieces as shown in the picture.
- In a steel vessel add one cup of water, jaggery, tamarind and let it boil for 5 min on a medium low flame.
- Now add the lady s finger pieces and let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan take 2 TSP of coconut oil and heat. Now add 1 TSP urad dal and fry until slightly golden brown, and then add dry red chillies and fry a little more until you get an aroma or for about one minute.
- Now take this spice mixture with 1 cup of fresh or frozen coconut and grind to smooth paste. Now add this spices and coconut paste mixture to the cooked lady s finger and mix well.
- Let it boil in simmer for 2-4 minutes.
- Adjust the salt.
- Season with mustard and curry leaves.
- Serve hot with hot white or brown rice.
- Make sure that lady s fingers are dry after washing them, otherwise pieces will be sticky and the curry will become slimy.
- Also note that always add the cut pieces to the water tamarind mixture, never add them directly to the water. Direct water without tamarind makes the lady s finger sticky.
- One can always adjust the spiciness as per the individual preference.